Tuesday 12 April 2011

Another attempt at LIM Sentiment Focus Challenge



Having posted that I had some doubts about the three cards that I featured in my last post, I received mixed comments and some interesting feedback, which certainly gave me some food for thought. I've taken another stab at the Less is More Challenge to make a one layer card with the sentiment as the focus, and this is the result:



Once again I was able to give a first airing to some stamps that I had never used before. The background is a stamp from Elusive Images which is stamped in Brilliance Pearlescent Lavender. Sadly the shimmer doesn't show up well in the photo. The sentiment is from a  clear set by Cloud 9. Just a touch of bling finishes the card off. I did think of using pearls, but didn't have the correct shade, or tiny flowers punched from vellum, but they didn't look right. So there it is, very simple.

My initial reaction to the feedback on the previous cards was to mull over the advice offered and try to do better next time. However, I just couldn't resist reworking them to try to take on board the points that were made. Here follow the results, which you may or may not think look better.

For this one I replaced the Kids Quote sentiment with a quote that I found on the internet and typed into a text box in Word. I used what I think looks like a more sophisticated font to fit better with the style of the frame.

 Here again, I've replaced the sentiment - this time with another stamped sentiment from the Cloud 9 set. I've used a blue ink instead of black, but am still wondering if it's a little too dark for the background image. I'm tempted to try it again with the text stamped in a softer grey shade. 
Finally, I reworked the ribbon on this one and added some black gems. Someone did ask in one of the comments how I managed to emboss the front of the card without the lines of the folder showing. Well the truth is that I didn't manage that with this card, and the ribbon is there primarily to hide that line. If I were starting this card again from scratch, I would emboss it more carefully and make sure that the edges of the folder did not pass through the pressure rollers in my Cuttlebug, as I did with the cupcake card above. It's hard for me to describe exactly what I mean, but there are some good and useful resources on the internet if you do a search for Cuttlebug tips.
Once again, many thanks to all who took the time to view and review my cards. All of your comments are really appreciated.

9 comments:

Chrissie said...

Your first picture isn't showing, I'm not sure what the problem is.
I must applaud you for your rigorous determination to improve your cards.
I think that the amendments have worked well for the most part, but the interesting thing is that any comments received will have given you food for thought. Some you may totally disagree with, others may be helpful or give you a different perspective on your work.
I personally think that your new choice of font for the swirly frame is much more in-keeping.
The way to avoid the edges of embossing folders leaving lines, it to make a stack of card slightly smaller than your folder and build up to the thickness of a B Cuttlebug plate. As there is no pressure on the edges of the folder, it doesn't leave lines.
I've prattled on too long... but well done you!
Chrissie
"Less is More"

Jane said...

Three beautiful cards, I think I would choose the first one if I had to choose between them xx

TAM said...

A fabulous selection of cards - good to see the reworked versions as well - as Chrissie has said all the different comments make us think about things in a different light

Lauren Hatwell said...

Beautiful cards. Lx

Sally H said...

Wow! They are all really beautiful and elegant!

Mandi said...

WOW at your hard work
Thank you so much for that
the paler blue with the soft stamping and embossed frame is FAB, a true CAS one layer.
Thanks so much for all your effort
mandi
Less is More

Jan said...

Well done I like them all xx Jan

Susan said...

Hooray for you! I can't believe you re-made them all...but You did.... three beautiful card!

Aileen said...

Wow you now have a wonderful set of cards. Love your new one and the reworkings on your others. Well done. x